|Avoid nasty and expensive repairs – prepare your home for a harsh winter!|
Winter means a lot of things! Chilly mornings. Inclement weather. Dressing in layers. And as your friendly roofer, I can tell you that it means roof damage! It’s like clockwork… Every winter we have unfortunate homeowners who need us in a hurry because a leak has unexpectedly sprung.
There’s nothing more aggravating than when a pricey problem pops up. To help you avoid the frustration, aggravation, and concern of an emergency repair, here are six steps to prepare your roof for the harsh winter!
1. Start off by checking the roof-framing structure to make sure it is not compromised. Visually scan the roof for any sagging or uneven areas. If you do see an area that looks uneven, this may mean damage to the roof deck below the shingles.
2. Inspect the gutter systems to make sure they are not clogged with branches, leaves, or other debris. This is important to ensure that rain water and snow have a way off of the roof. If the water or snow is left standing on the roof, there is an increased likelihood of leaking or ice damming.
3. Make sure that gutters are fastened properly and are tight and secure so that they don’t cause overflow or buildup—or fall off the fascia board. Leaking water can end up causing damage not just to your roof, but also to your interior walls.
4. Check the valleys of the roof to ensure that they are free and clear of debris that can add weight to the roof and also act as a barrier to rain and snow. Leaks frequently occur in the valleys so make sure they are well protected by a proper roofing system.
5. One of the most common causes for roofing leaks is due to problems with flashing. Flashing is the aluminum or metal material that is used in roof-to-wall transitions over joints to prevent water from seeping in and causing damage. Metal flashing should be used around roof vents, pipes, skylights, and chimneys. Remember that flashing can be loosened or torn by high winds and heavy rains, so inspect the areas annually.
6. Lastly, you should walk around to carefully inspect the shingles on the roof—look for curling edges, missing granules, and certainly for missing shingles or damage from birds, rodents, or squirrels.
As one of the most trusted roofing contractors in the St. Charles area, you will be joining thousands of satisfied customers when you choose us for roofing service. We take pride in our work, and make it a point never to try to sell you services you do not need. Some of the complete roofing services that we offer include:
When it comes to roofing repair, our technicians are number one. We have experience working with all types of roofs and roofing materials. Whether your home has a peaked Alpine style roof, a flat roof, or somewhere in between, our experienced roofing contractors will be employing only the highest quality materials and time-tested techniques to your project.
Before making any major investments or repairs, take advantage of our roofing contractors’ 50+ combined years of experience in inspections and leak tracing. We will help you determine where the problem lies, and provide honest advice about the most effective, financially sound approach to repairs. Our 20-point roof inspection will provide you with a clear picture of the overall health of your roof and assist you in determining the best path forward.
If you notice that your roof is beginning to leak, it is important to locate the source of the problem as quickly as possible. Our roofing technicians are experts at roof leak repair and can locate and repair any leaks, often preventing the need for costly roof replacement. With our 100% satisfaction guarantee, you can sleep easy knowing that you have made a solid investment in the overall condition and value of your home.
If you think it is time for a full roof replacement, one of our experienced roofing contractors will come out to your home to provide an estimate for your replacement. All of our technicians are Certified Master Applicators and Schneider Roofing is a Select Shingle Master so you can be sure that your new roof will last for years to come.
Hail can cause severe damage your shingles and can result in leaks in your roof. Strong wind in storms can also be just as damaging. Branches can drop and cause catastrophic damage, and high gusts can cause damage to your roofing tiles or shingles as well. If you experience any of these problems, our roofing contractors can work quickly to provide patching and repair services.
Major roof damage, when not dealt with immediately – especially during harsh weather – can quickly compound itself leading to greater problems down the road. Leaks and holes can compromise the immediate habitability of the home, putting your family in a challenging and even dangerous situation. Schneider Roofing and Remodeling is your local roofing contractor, so we are in the best possible position to offer you emergency roofing services quickly whenever you need them.
When it comes to commercial roofs, we understand that any roofing repair project can be a major expense. Our roofing inspections are the first step in helping you make the best maintenance, repair, or replacement decisions. Also, we offer maintenance programs to help keep your roof in the best condition often preventing the need for major repairs and expenses.
Make sure you are working with a licensed, legitimate contractor!
It’s a shame, but it happens all of the time. There are people passing themselves off as legitimate roofing contractors. They knock on people’s doors or leave flyers. Some unsuspecting homeowner calls these people. They come to the home, and they offer a deal that seems too good to be true on some roofing work. Well, it usually is too good to be true.
Plenty of people can hammer shingles. They can get familiar with the tools and maybe learn how to do a few things. But what happens in five or six months when that cheap work begins to have major trouble? Do you still have the individual’s phone number who did the work? Does that phone number still work? Unfortunately, in the trades, we don’t just hear about these horror stories; we see them too often. By hiring these fly-by-nighters, it may lead to a bad and expensive outcome for the homeowner.
There are ways you can protect yourself. First of all, before allowing anyone to work on your home, do some quick research. Visit the Better Business Bureau® website and see if you can find the company. See if they have an internet presence. Lastly, insist that the contractor supplies you with their licensing and references of past clients—and I recommend asking for addresses and phone numbers. Contact these people on your own. Get the real scoop!
You can avoid all of that trouble and stick with a company that you know has your best interest at heart, Schneider Roofing and Remodeling. You know that we are completely licensed and have an outstanding BBB record. In addition, we insist that all of our roofing technicians are drug tested, background checked, and highly trained. Furthermore, we offer some outstanding guarantees and warranties—and we don’t disappear if you have trouble and need us to come back. We’re here to stay. You can call us at 314-378-6623 any time you have a roofing need and know you are in good hands!
When it comes to making choices about your roofing contractor, do not trust the work to amateurs. Schneider Roofing and Remodeling is one of the most trusted roofing contractors in St. Charles and the surrounding areas – and with good reason. With a knowledgeable, upstanding management staff, a reliable, experienced team of skilled craftsman, and a company culture that values customer satisfaction above all else, it just does not make sense to hire a different roofing contractor. We use only the highest quality materials, and all of our techniques have been thoroughly field-tested, so that we can be sure that we are delivering exactly what we promise: quality.
We offer comprehensive roofing contractor services for both residential and commercial buildings. No matter the size of your project – whether you are looking for assistance repairing your gutters or replacing the entire roof – we are here to help. Contact our roofing company today to learn more about our services and to speak with one of our specialists.
You count on your roof to protect your family from the harsh sun and nasty weather. And it seems to be doing its job…. After all, you don’t notice any leaks! What you may not realize is your roof is prematurely aging. The roof you expected to last several years may be withering away… and you just haven’t noticed it yet. In fact, your roof’s lifespan could be cut in half!
In the fall and winter months, the temperatures outside begin to drop, and so does the temperature inside your attic. At some point, it will get cold enough that you’ll turn on your furnace. The warm air from your furnace will rise from your home into your attic. When it hits the cold attic air, it forms moisture. If your attic is properly vented, moisture isn’t a problem. The natural flow of air through your vents will quickly dry it. However, if your home is one of the 90% that aren’t ventilated properly, moisture can’t dry! Instead, it sits and festers in your attic.
The moisture can attract insects like termites. Eventually, the moisture will cause your roof to rot! Before you know it, you may need to replace your roof that’s only five or six years old!
But this premature aging process isn’t the only thing your roof might be suffering from… Moisture in an attic is an absolute breeding ground for mold. If you have an asthma or allergy sufferer in your household, they could experience severe agitation from this mold growth. In fact, maybe they’ve been enduring this for years — this could definitely be the case if you have an older roof not installed by Schneider Roofing and Remodeling, and you have NOT had your roof inspected in a long time.
Experts recommend homeowners have their roofs inspected at least once a year. It’s the best way to avoid any large problems from developing — by eliminating potential issues immediately.
Customer service cannot be over-rated or over-stated. If you are looking for a company that has the best customer service backed by years of extensive knowledge and experience, along with superior worksmanship, then Schneider Roofing and Remodeling is the right company for you. Click here to view our video.
At Schneider Roofing and Remodeling we are roofing experts and we take our commitment to our clients seriously. We are in the business of building relationships and not just replacing a roof. Our employees work and live in St. Charles County and will be here for a long, long time. We know that if we don’t do our job right, we won’t have a job for very long. All of us at Schneider Roofing and Remodeling are professionals in roofing and siding, and in business; we will give you honest feedback and fair pricing each and every time.
To learn more about our company, our philosophy and our customers’ experiences, click here.
For additional information about our company or your specific situation, please call (314-378-6623) or email the experts at Schneider Roofing and Remodeling.
Fall is full of so many fun events and holidays, like Halloween and Thanksgiving. Yet, during fall there is an important, yet much less celebrated observance: the month of October is known as Fire Protection Month.
According to the Home Safety Council, more than 3,000 people die from fires each year. Eighty percent of those occur while in the home; the majority of those happen when people are sleeping. And according to the National Fire Protection agency, 62 percent of home-related fire deaths resulted because the home didn’t have smoke alarms, or the alarms were not functional. So, if your smoke alarms are more than 10 years old, you should consider replacing them. Below are some helpful tips that you should consider.
- Never plug multiple items into the same electrical outlet or circuit. If an electrical appliance smokes or smells unusual, unplug it immediately and have it serviced.
- Make sure light bulbs are the recommended wattage for all of your light fixtures.
- Keep baking soda or salt near your stove to extinguish grease fires. Don’t use water because it will spread the flame.
- Keep your stove’s exhaust fan and range hood free of grease. Keep the cooking area free of combustibles.
- Never leave cooking unattended. Turn pan handles inward so they don’t hang over the edge of the stove.
- Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach. Teach children these are dangerous items to be used by adults only.
- Never use an extension cord on a permanent basis and avoid running them under rugs.
- Never install a double-cylinder deadbolt lock on your exit doors. They require a key to unlock from the inside. When you need to exit in a hurry this type of lock can be deadly.
- Don’t place hay, straw or other combustible materials beneath your home.
- Don’t smoke in bed or when you are drowsy. Fires created by cigarettes cause more deaths than any other kind of fire. Run butts and ashes under water before disposing.
- Never leave home with the clothes dryer running. Clean dryer vents frequently. Clean lint screens after each load to keep the airway clear.
- Never block doors or windows with furniture or other objects.
- Store flammable liquids like gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner, etc. in approved containers outside your home, but not under your home.
- Make regular safety checks of your home’s major systems or hire a professional to inspect them. Check for cleanliness, proper functioning and loose connections for your heating and cooling system, fuel lines, water heater, electrical, appliances and plumbing.
Not only do we value you as a client, we value you as friends. The last thing we’d ever want to hear is your home is damaged by a fire… or worse. Go through this checklist and double check that your family is completely safe and secure.
It’s easy to take your roof for granted. When it rains, you know that you’re not going to get wet. When the hot summer sun shines, you know that you will stay shaded and comfortable. When the wind blows, you don’t have to worry about a chill running through your body. However, when a roofing problem appears, it can drastically interrupt your life!
Problem: In some cases, roofing problems can lead to big messes. For example, if you leave town for several days and a leak appears, you’re not able to stop the water damage to your home before it’s too late. And then there are the slow, small leaks — they can cause water damage in your attic and they can allow mold to grow.
Solution: Everyone’s dependence on their roof is why Schneider Roofing and Remodeling recommends having it inspected at least once a year. Believe it or not, over that short period of time your roof can change drastically. Shingles may have fallen off exposing your underlayment. Water may have begun seeping into your attic. Sun may have caused segments of your roof to fry. Anything is possible.
Call us at Schneider Roofing and Remodeling for an inspection. If you’ve noticed some odd things going on with your roof, this offer is meant especially for you! When your roof is in good shape, it means that it’s not interrupting your life and causing you headaches. Dial 314-378-6623 or click here to email us for a comprehensive inspection from Schneider Roofing and Remodeling!