Ventilating your roof reduces the heat in your attic during the summer and helps remove moisture in the winter. This will keep your roof functioning longer and as a bonus, it will make your heating and cooling systems more efficient.
Roof vents allow the hot air to escape from the attic, and it will typically be replaced with cooler air from intake vents. The best location for the intake is the soffit because the coolest air is going to be under the overhangs where it is generally the most shaded. Vented soffits (vinyl or aluminum) are an easy way to bring cool air into your attic to replace the hot summer air being vented out.
Roof ventilation is important to the life of your roof and for your wallet in the long run. If you would like more information about adding roof vents, give us a call (314-378-6623) or send an email.
A big storm rolls through town and hits your home hard, and your roof took an absolute beating. You’re missing shingles, which are now scattered all over your yard. Maybe you’re facing an even more difficult situation… You have a hole in your roof and water is leaking into your home. It’s not a pretty situation!!!
At Schneider Roofing and Remodeling, we’ve been helping homeowners for years. Specifically, we’ve been working with insurance companies for years. That’s something that can’t be overlooked when you consider hiring a roofing company. If you find yourself with a roofing challenge this summer, here are five reasons why Schneider Roofing and Remodeling can help you:
1. You Get a Thorough Evaluation! We won’t spend a few minutes walking around your home or snapping pictures from a car to evaluate the damage of your roof and attic. Oh, no… You get a complete 17-point inspection and diagnostic of your roof. We will get on your roof and in your attic to evaluate everything closely. That’s the best way to find hidden damage. The last thing you want is for an undiscovered problem to cause massive damage to your home and valuables months later!
2. You’ll Know Your Options! After you’ve received a 17-point inspection of your roof, you will be given a variety of options. Hopefully, your roof only needs a simple repair. But if you require a new roof, you may be able to choose from a variety of shingles… each with different styles, colors, and warranties. BEWARE! Sometimes the insurance company will “adjust” your claim by calling for the lowest (and cheapest) grade roofing materials. That’s why it’s best that you have a contractor working with you in these situations.
3. You’ll Get Insurance Help! Once you’ve selected the best option for your home, your job is done! It’s time to let us go to work for YOU! That means contacting your insurance company and explaining the work you would like (and need) performed on your home!
4. You Get Roofing Professionals! You will get the repair or new roof you want because we have experience dealing with insurance companies. They trust us because we’re licensed, insured, and all work is performed up to code. You only get the best people and the best products when working with us!
5. You Get Long-Term Support! You also get roofing professionals that will be here to stand behind our work! We offer the absolute best guarantees and warranties! And should you have a question or issue, you can give us a call at any time, and we’ll be there immediately! This is our community, too! We take pride in making sure everyone is completely satisfied!
So, if you find yourself worrying about your roof after a storm, give us a call at 314-378-6623.
“If your roof is more than 20 years old, there’s a good chance that it’s due for replacement. But younger roofs fail too, so it is a good idea to inspect a roof at least once a year.” ~ Tom Silva, This Old House
Although this little-known fact seems so very simple, few homeowners are aware of how important it really is! When was the last time you had your roof inspected? On the other hand, were you even aware that it needs an inspection each year? A roof of any age can leak, and more than not, it takes some time before water stains show up in your home. Often, by the time you notice the signs of a leak, it has already caused serious damage!
For signs of a roof leak to show up in your home, the water must pass through your shingles, pass through your felt underlayment, pass through your plywood, saturate 10 to 12 inches of insulation in your attic, and then soak through your drywall ceiling or wall! What’s even worse, many times water will leak within the wall cavity, sometimes for years, before you realize the problem exists! This can result in major damages! As a roofing contractor, I’ve seen this all too many times. What could have been a simple repair caused major damage to a home’s interior, something an annual roof inspection could have easily prevented from happening in the first place.
Call (314-378-6623) or email today to have your roof inspected!
1. Water Shut-Off Valve Location: Know the location of the water shut-off for the whole house. Most sinks and toilets have a shut-off valve under the fixture, but knowing how to turn off the flow throughout the home is imperative if needed in an emergency. If a leak pops up, shutting off the flow will limit the amount of damage, repair costs and headaches.
2. Gas Shut-off Valve Location: Same issue as the water valve but with greater emphasis toward safety. A gas leak can cause a fire or explosion so shutting it off at the sign (smell) of a leak or other danger is imperative.
3. Electric Box Breaker Switches: Be sure everyone in the home knows the location of the electric panel. Each breaker should be labeled for efficiency and safety. This will save you frustration and time during electrical issues.
4. Repair Water Leaks ASAP: A huge percentage of home repair costs can come from water damage. Once you have detected a water leak have it repaired immediately. The longer you let it continue, the more it will cost you to repair.
5. Foundation Blocks and Concrete Slabs: One of the most costly home repairs is leveling a house. To help avoid this expensive repair you should keep your home’s slab nourished during spells of very dry weather. Install flowerbeds along the sides and keep them moist. If you have no flowerbeds then you should actually water the edges of the slab. Do not over water, just be aware that cracks in the dirt can be a sign of future problems in your home’s foundation.
6. Install Gutters/Downspouts: Water should be directed away (4 to 6 feet) from the foundation, sidewalks, or patio/driveway slabs. Just like too much dry weather is bad for your foundation; too much water is also bad. Never let water pool at the base of your house.
7. Keep Gutters Free Flowing: The gutters and downspouts cannot push the water away from the house (and away from the basement) if they cannot do their function. Clean the gutters and downspouts several times a year or install gutter protection.
8. Keep Debris Off Your Roof: If you have trees dropping leaves on your roof you need to clear them off so water is not trapped under the debris. Trapped water will work its way through your shingles and ultimately through to your ceilings. When you see the water stains on your walls or ceilings, you should repair the leak immediately.
9. Weatherproof Your Home: Repairs to doors and windows is another costly area. When you take the time to caulk and weather strip your doors and caulk around all your windows (in addition to saving money) you will remain aware of developing issues. Your job is to know your home.
10. Know Your Neighbors: Chances are your home was built at the same time as other homes in your neighborhood. Keeping tabs on home issues your neighbors are experiencing can go a long way in predicting possible problems at your home!
Flashing is usually aluminum or galvanized steel that’s used over joints in a roof and wall construction to prevent water seeping in and causing damage. Depending on the style of your home’s roof, you probably have it in the valleys, around the chimney and pipes, and around any dormer windows or skylights. Most damage shows up either in flashing that’s deteriorating due to weathering and oxidizing, or in flashing that has come loose.
If your flashing needs repairs, consider giving your friends at Schneider Roofing and Remodeling a call. We can give you an upfront price on the work, and depending upon the severity of the repair, in many instances we can do the work immediately.
When hiring a service contractor to do work in your home, it is so important that you hire a quality and reliable company. The Better Business Bureau issued a warning in the St. Louis area for a roofing contractor who pleaded guilty in Arizona to several charges, and on that very same day he established a business here in Missouri. There are numerous complaints about his work here and several homeowners have found themselves in a bind with payments made and work still to be completed. Sadly, this is not uncommon and homeowners must stay informed and protect themselves.
You can trust Schneider Roofing and Remodeling. We live in St. Charles and our company has been in St. Charles since it was established in 1991. We guarantee your satisfaction, stand behind our work and will be here for you if you ever have any roofing or siding problems.
Please click here to read the warning from the Better Business Bureau.
It’s easy to take your roof for granted. When it rains, you know that you’re not going to get wet. When the hot summer sun shines, you know that you will stay shaded and comfortable. When the wind blows, you don’t have to worry about a chill running through your body. However, when a roofing problem appears, it can drastically interrupt your life!
In some cases, roofing problems can lead to big messes. For example, if you leave town for several days and a leak appears, you’re not able to stop the water damage to your home before it’s too late. And then there are the slow, small leaks — they can cause water damage in your attic and they can allow mold to grow.
Everyone’s dependence on their roof is why Schneider Roofing and Remodeling recommends having it inspected at least once a year. Believe it or not, over that short period of time your roof can change drastically. Shingles may have fallen off exposing your underlayment. Water may have begun seeping into your attic. Sun may have caused segments of your roof to fry. Anything is possible.
Call us at Schneider Roofing and Remodeling for an inspection. If you’ve noticed some odd things going on with your roof, this offer is meant especially for you! When your roof is in good shape, it means that it’s not interrupting your life and causing you headaches. Call 314-378-6623 or click here to email us for a comprehensive inspection from Schneider Roofing and Remodeling!
Each year, more and more people are diagnosed with skin cancer. It is more important than ever, during the upcoming long and hot summer days, that you take care of yourself… including your skin! And even though summer is technically still two months away, there is no denying that even now as the weather is warming up and days are getting longer, we are outside in sun quite often.
Here are some helpful tips to consider while sitting outside watching a ballgame or working around the yard. Please be careful!
- If outside for an extended time, take shade periodically
- Wear sun-protective clothing that covers as much of your body as possible
- Put on a broad-brimmed hat that shades your face, neck and ears
- Wear wrap-around sunglasses
- Apply SPF 30+ broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen every two hours
Don’t Be the Homeowner on TV or in the Newspaper Telling about How You Were Taken Advantage of!!
It’s a shame what happens to some good, hardworking people. I just read another report of a heating and cooling contractor (in another community) taking advantage of their customers. The work they were providing was shoddy, and when customers complained, the contractor didn’t return calls or wasn’t interested in remedying the problem. No, they kept their customers’ hard-earned money and didn’t give these poor homeowners another thought.
Eventually, these shady contractors were discovered by the news media and their poor business practices were exposed. Still, that doesn’t help the customers who they already fleeced. They were forced to spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to repair their problems… That’s on top of what they already spent!
You’re likely one of our cherished clients, or maybe you’re a friend we’ve met along the way. Either way, you know our commitment to premium customer service. It’s not just lip service. It’s something we take great pride in providing. Specifically, when working with Schneider Roofing and Remodeling, you know that you’re getting a company that is:
- Locally owned, operated, and committed to our community.
- Fully bonded, insured and licensed.
- Committed to providing upfront, no-hidden-costs pricing.
- Available 24/7, 365 days a year. If you need us, you can reach us.
- Employing only drug-free, background-checked, highly trained technicians.
- Offering industry-best guarantees and warranties in writing.
When you call Schneider Roofing and Remodeling to your home, you will be given options when possible! You are in control of your home and your roof. You will know how much it will cost to repair, and you’ll know if it makes more sense to replace your roof. We provide the information, and you make the best decision for your family!
No matter what your decision is, Schneider Roofing and Remodeling will be there to support you. So, if you have questions, or on the outside chance you have any problems with our service, Schneider Roofing and Remodeling will be there to stand behind our work and do whatever possible to make you 100% satisfied. That’s our promise to you.
It’s our goal to be the service company that you absolutely must tell your friends, colleagues, family and neighbors about. That’s how happy we want you to be when choosing Schneider Roofing and Remodeling for your roofing and siding needs—that’s what we strive for every single day. Give Schneider Roofing and Remodeling a call at 314-378-6623.
We want an opportunity to show you what makes us an industry leader and puts us above those companies that fill the newspapers and TV broadcasts with their indiscretions. Your home and family deserve nothing less than the most courteous, exceptional customer-service experience in the industry—that’s what you will receive with us!